The purpose of the service program for students at O’Gorman High School, by virtue of their baptismal call, is putting faith into action, words into deeds and reinforcing the gospel message that Jesus, our model, came not to be served but to serve. It is our hope that our students learn that love of God cannot be separated from love of neighbor, and that the habit of service will last a lifetime. The following service program is required of all freshmen, sophomores, juniors & seniors who are enrolled in a Theology course.
To earn service hours, parents/guardians and students could consider options such as:
- School sponsored service opportunities announced in the school bulletin and in our Theology classes
- School sponsored service opportunities available in the Campus Ministry Office (K-100) (School provides supervision)
- Parish activities
- Diocesan activities
- Volunteering at agencies that assist the poor in our community (e.g. The Banquet, St. Francis House, etc.)
- Volunteering at a nursing home or hospital
- Other areas (Students are required to confer with their Theology teacher prior to any service opportunity that is questionable in its eligibility to qualify for service hours.)
Parents and students are responsible for verifying the location of the service, level of safety and supervision provided by the supervisor, the type of Christian service being performed and transportation for their student involved with outside of school sponsored service opportunities.